Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Two posts in less than 24 hours? Whoa! I guess I've had more time for reading in the last few days. For a while there, I had none!


I'm in a divorce recovery class and last week, one of the other ladies recommended this book. She teaches Children's Literature and I don't even know how this book came up in conversation, but it did (it has nothing at all to do with divorce...please don't get that impression!) so I decided to to go Barnes & Noble and pick it up.

I'm so glad I did! Gossamer is a sweet little book (only 140 pages) about where dreams come from. It is the story of Littlest, one of the dream-givers, and a boy to whom she bestows them. There's a battle between good and evil...the dream-givers versus the sinisteeds, who inflict nightmares...taking place over the troubled boy, but Littlest shows great courage and determination in helping him.

Lois Lowry is an expert at writing in such a way that a child could understand the words and follow the story, but an adult can read the same story and get just as much from it...have you ever read The Giver? Wow!

I loved this story. It was a quick read, but was emotionally involving and left me feeling happy. I can almost believe in the dream-givers and the sinisteeds, because I certainly have felt the presence of each, whether real or imagined. I love the way Lowry weaves reality and imagination together. Her stories are always completely believable, if not quite real, and I find that wonderful.

And I must mention this: I love the dedication in this book! I'm a lover of Shakespeare, and Lois Lowry found the perfect lines to accompany her tale.

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

~William Shakespeare
The Tempest, Act 4, Scene 1

No comments:

Post a Comment