Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

I decided, since the Disney bio is taking me so long, to pick up another book at the same time. I've always been a one-at-a-time reader, but I'm going to try this. Maybe when I don't feel like reading the biography, I'll feel like reading the novel instead. The novel of choice is Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë. It is a classic and I've felt ashamed for a long time that I've not yet picked it up. I've had it on my shelf for ages, but just never got around to it. I'm going to right that wrong now :-)


I'd like to add a bit of an aside here. I've long been annoyed with the practice of people replacing curse words with the first letter (ex. "effing"). If you're going to say it, just say it. Preferably, though, don't say it at all. I'm guilty of cursing, too, but I don't like to, and while I don't take personal offense, I'd rather not hear it, either. However, I'm more bothered by people making lame attempts to mask the words than I am by the words themselves. All this sprung from something in the Editor's note in this book:

"The practice of hinting by single letters those expletives with which profane and violent people are wont to garnish their discourse, strikes me as a proceeding which, however well meant, is weak and futile. I cannot tell what good it does - what feeling it spares - what horror it conceals." Currer Bell (a.k.a. Charlotte Brontë)

No comments:

Post a Comment